Thursday, February 6, 2020

Mitt Romney has his Spartacus moment

Kirk Douglas as Spartacus

I awoke this morning to the headlines that Trump had been acquitted, Romney was the sole Republican voting for his impeachment and Kirk Douglas had died.

In Douglas’ most famous role, he plays the escaped Roman slave Spartacus.  Based on a true story, Spartacus led a slave revolution in ancient Rome.  In the film’s climax (spoiler alert!) – probably not true – the Roman General who defeats Spartacus’ army gives all the slaves the opportunity to be spared if they point out the real Spartacus.  First, one soldier and then another and then all of them stand and declare “I’m Spartacus.” They all heroically choose to die rather than give up their hero.

Yesterday, Senator Mitt Romney (R.-UT) had something of a reverse Spartacus moment.  Choosing principle over political expediency, he stood up in the Senate and voted to convict a president of his own political party.  No Republican stood with him. 


I’m something of a movie nut.  So, I was reminded of a different Kirk Douglas film (my personal favorite).  In it, Kirk plays the role of an old-fashioned cowboy resisting the march of time in the 20th Century.  The film’s title says it all: Lonely Are the Brave

WHO WILL LEAD? 

1 comment:

  1. John, I applaud you for taking a stand and changing parties. I am not politically minded, but I always pay attention when things in Washington are awry. I followed Watergate, Clinton's Impeachment Trial and all of Trump's hearings and trial. All I know is I cannot support a malignant narcissistic fascist Prez who lies, bad mouths, and fires his team, his staff, or anyone who doesn't agree with him, or stands up to him, or is subpoenaed to testify. His behavior & actions, his body language, his choice of words, how he communicates and dialogues says it all. Self-Will-Run-Riot! Always acting out in the ego child state, which is 2 yrs old. I'm baffled and shocked that smart, educated, public servants, and so many Americans love & support him. He is so nauseating, embarrassing and aggravating to listen to. Not to mention, he scares me. He ignores the sound, professional, experienced advice of his team, his officials, his Cabinet, and the experts working for him?!?! He sends Rudy Giuliani over to Ukraine, a personal lawyer only who is not employed by the government, to do his dirty work?! What does that say about him? Two Gemini peas in a pod, God help us. A rogue President with submissive minions is scary. The only ray of hope was Mitt Romney's speech. I am definitely listening to Bloomberg and the other candidates. Bloomberg ran in business circles with Trump. He has Trump's number. I'm guessing he's a scrapper who's not afraid to go toe to toe with Trump. I'm looking fwd to the debates. May the best democrat win. I just wish the electoral vote was eliminated. Someone plz explain to me why we still need it in this day and age? And why aren't there more qualifications required to become Prez? Why isn't that pushed to avoid having a sociopath-corrupt-contractor in office. At least a law degree, someone who understands the law, and has minimally 4 yrs experience as a public servant.

    ReplyDelete