Monday, February 3, 2020

It’s Official: I’m a Democrat

Everyone I know describes themselves as “fiscally conservative and socially liberal.”  And, yet, neither political party ever gives us a candidate who fits that description.  I asked a veteran of political campaigns why.  She said, “there aren’t enough of you.”  And, she’s right.  Suburban swing voters like me constitute about 20% of the electorate.  

When I moved to Deep Blue New York, I registered as a Republican reasoning that would be closest to the center.  Along the way, I began voting for Libertarian candidates (fiscally conservative; socially liberal). Many people consider a third-party vote to be a wasted vote.  But, in a state where all the electoral votes always go to one party, all votes are wasted votes.  I first expressed my frustration in a guest column last year (Stranger in a Blue Land: The Plight of a Political Moderate).

What knocked me out of this rut was Michael Bloomberg’s announcement that he’s running for President.  A politically moderate party switcher like me, I wonder if he could make a difference in deadlocked Washington.  And, in the primaries, my vote matters. 

Like many Americans, I was shocked at the 2016 election results.  Initially, I believed that establishment Republicans would keep Trump in check.  But those who spoke up were punished at the ballot box.  And, so, those who remain support a morally reprehensible, irresponsible president whose destructive behavior will echo for years or, perhaps, decades after he leaves office.  

I could remain in the Republican Party if it was true to its values.  But the days of fiscally responsible, small government Republicans are over.  The 2017 tax bill is great for the upper and middle classes.  But it also leaves us with trillion-dollar annual deficits. 

Mike Bloomberg
There’s some scary stuff on the other side of the aisle too.  The party of “free stuff” would eliminate capitalist prosperity in the name of social justice.  The Green New Deal would reverse a century of economic progress. And, social democracy is merely the act of taking money from those who have earned it honestly and giving it to those who haven’t. 

Enter Michael Bloomberg.  His views on gun ownership and climate change mirror my own. Will all his ideas be enacted or, if enacted work?  And, where will the money for all these great ideas come from? I can’t say for sure.  While it’s easy for me to point to the flaws in proposals from Sanders and Warren, it’s difficult for me to imagine that a self-made billionaire might not understand business and economics.

And, so, I am leaving the party of no ideas for the party of bad ideas. I confess it’s not very comfortable over here.  But, for now at least, I think it’s the right thing to do. 

WHO WILL LEAD?

2 comments:

  1. I share your frustration w the fiscal madness in DC on both sides. The 535 peeps in Congress don't live or play by our healthcare and other options. They get paid for showing up and until their compensation is linked to performance, i.e. a balanced budget and paying down the debt. We should have a system where once the budget is balanced, and if there is any money left over, then and only then they can allocate that to pork projects. Pay them $100K/year salary and a $250K bonus if they balance the budget and $250K for every $1 trillion debt they pay off, we'd be far better off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I applaud you for taking a stand and changing parties. I am not politically minded, but I always pay attention when things in Washington are awry. I followed Watergate, Clinton's Impeachment Trial and all of Trump's hearings and trial. All I know is I cannot support a malignant narcissistic fascist Prez who lies, bad mouths, and fires his team, his staff, or anyone who doesn't agree with him, or stands up to him, or is subpoenaed to testify. His behavior & actions, his body language, his choice of words, how he communicates and dialogues says it all. Self-Will-Run-Riot! Always acting out in the ego child state, which is 2 yrs old. I'm baffled and shocked that smart, educated, public servants, and so many Americans love & support him. He is so nauseating, embarrassing and aggravating to listen to. Not to mention, he scares me. He ignores the sound, professional, experienced advice of his team, his officials, his Cabinet, and the experts working for him?!?! He sends Rudy Giuliani over to Ukraine, a personal lawyer only who is not employed by the government, to do his dirty work?! What does that say about him? Two Gemini peas in a pod, God help us. A rogue President with submissive minions is scary. The only ray of hope was Mitt Romney's speech. I am definitely listening to Bloomberg and the other candidates. Bloomberg ran in business circles with Trump. He has Trump's number. I'm guessing he's a scrapper who's not afraid to go toe to toe with Trump. I'm looking fwd to the debates. May the best democrat win. I just wish the electoral vote was eliminated. Someone plz explain to me why we still need it in this day and age? And why aren't there more qualifications required to become Prez? Why isn't that pushed to avoid having a sociopath-corrupt-contractor in office. At least a law degree, someone who understands the law, and has minimally 4 yrs experience as a public servant.

    ReplyDelete